Monday, December 04, 2006

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

I love going home. "Home" being England. Or is it? I have realised that in fact I have spent half of my life away from "Home" - 20 years of living in France and now a year in Switzerland - but every time I return to England there is still that tug on the heart strings and the comfort of going back to where I grew up.

Times have changed of course, and when I go home I am a visitor - no longer my own bedroom with all the junk accumulated over the years - now I am in the guest room, which as children we thought very grand! But despite that, it is comforting to go back and be surrounded by things that have always been there - the furniture, the objects, the cold,crisp sheets on the bed, the jar of sea shells on the kitchen window that we collected over thirty years ago - without realising it, I check to make sure that everything is still there.

I have never been part of an expat community and often go out of my way to avoid those who grouse about not finding baked beans, salad cream, marmite or whatever in their new foreign life (although now you find English things everywhere in Europe). What suddenly makes me wish for England is when I see a programme on TV - the other day I was idly watching Ispecteur Barnaby (I think it was called Midsomer Murders in England), and although the contents were of little interest, I suddenly found myself looking at the gorgeous English countryside and the trim lawns, and the rose beds and the lovely houses.

Rose-tinted spectacles - most definitely! And of course when I do go home (as a visitor) we 'do' basic things that I miss, living abroad ... real pubs that serve real pub food, visiting a National Trust property, Wisley Gardens, catching up with friends - but of course this is not the everyday life of English people all the year round. And when I do take off my glasses, England has changed over the last few years and I'm not too sure it is for the better.

My home town has changed out of all recognition and if it wasn't for the fact that the High Street is still cobbled (but pedestrian now) it could be anywhere - all the old shops have long gone to be replaced by those one finds in any High Street in England, the market that used to sell potatoes, cabbages and brussel sprouts in winter has stocks of avocados and lychees, the car congestion is beyond belief and now there is the shopping mall - what terrible places, open seven days a week and filled with zombie-like people who, it would seem, MUST spend money. What on earth do they buy?

Would I go back? Who knows ... perhaps once the 'changeling' has finished his education and is pushed into the outside world ... but I shall have to take off my rose-tinted specs. first.

10 comments:

Colin Randall said...

May I congratulate you, too, Louise and offer a link from Salut!?

Louise said...

Thank you, Colin, and yes please!

richard of orléans said...

Louise I think there is a problem of maths. 20 years in France and one in Switzerland makes 21. Two times 21 (half of your life remember) makes 42. Now who was talking about fiftyish?

Sarah said...

Hello Louise! Great to see you have a blog. I shall link you.

As for going back to Blighty, I'm much like you. I love being in the UK but I'm not sure I'd want to go back to live. The price of things, the weather, the drunken yobs... I have carved out a nice little life for myself here and I would be loathe to give it up.

Louise said...

Never my strong subject, maths...most women who lie about their age take years off, not add them on. So a recap to set your mind at rest Richard ... a year here with my goats, twenty years of being married to a Frog, a year living in France before getting married, four years of post-divorce, and that should sort of add up - so guess how old I am? But aren't we nit-picking here? And give or take a couple of years, does it matter? I forget what I did yesterday, let alone twenty years ago.

So now that is sorted, thank you Sarah for linking me - I must now start finding new links to add to my little bloglet!

richard of orléans said...

Well with the revised data I get to a young 52.
Now if that is correct how can a grown up adult call the place she chose to leave 26 years ago "home". Your home is obviously francophone continenetal Europe. Once you have decided on that fact you no longer need to return to that other place. You can spend your holiday time investigationg the many other more worthwhile places on this planet.

Louise said...

Well done, Richard - yes today I was feeling a 'young' 52 - tomorrow I think I shall be a decidedly 'old' 52 as I dig my car out of a snow drift and hope some nice young man with a mini bulldozer will take pity on me and clear the snow in the drive. Here of course, snow removal is a most lucrative business and most people pay for a daily service to have their drives cleared - not me! My neighbours (who are hardly every here)pay for this daily service so every now and then I ask the guy to do my drive!

Suppose I am more 'European' than English now, but still, it is my birthplace and there are still a few things I can relate to. In yesterday's print edition of the Telly (which I only buy on Saturday and Monday as it is atrociously expensive) there was a picture of the church where I was christened! Not because I was christened there but due to an oil-drilling project or gas or something on the estate of the Duke of Northumberland. The village has also become well-known now as there is a film coming out this Friday called 'The Holiday' which was filmed in and around Shere and stars Jude Law and Kate Winslet - so I shall have to see it, just for the views.

Louise said...

Sorry ,no! Quite the other end of the country! Shere is in Surrey - the drilling is to take place on an estate belonging to the Duke of Northumberland in Surrey - he lives in Alnwick Castle in Northumberland - they have built the most wonderful tree house up there on the estate.

Louise said...

Just writing the words Northumberland and Alnwick brings back another flood of memories - I have family who still live up there, surely one of the most lovely areas of England - if ever I went 'home' it would be one of my first choices as somewhere to live, although apparently it's now becoming very 'recherche' - sorry no accents on my English keyboard!

Riding over the moors on tough little ponies, acting as beaters during the shooting season, rowing to Holy Island in a dodgy wooden boat, dab fishing with pitchforks and just generally running wild with the cousins - we went off on adventures for the day, no adults, no mobile 'phones and no worries - and always got home in the evenings in one piece, totally starving!

The first time I ever went up north as a child, it was on a steam train! What a treat! And the night sleeper too!

richard of orléans said...

Louise
They still use steam trains in England. They are the faster more reliable ones.
Did you get up North in winter? Sleet, fog, no daylight. It's a brutish world.