Saturday, January 06, 2007

THE ASHLEY TREATMENT

What do you think of the Ashley Treatment that has been in the news over the last couple of days?

My first reaction on reading the article in the Telly was yuck ... how sick can you get, stunting a childs' growth on purpose so that she remains small and light enough to carry around and handle.

However, I then went onto the blog set up by her parents which relates what they have done and how they went about it, and admit to changing my mind after reading it. The blog is clear, concise, intelligent and written by a couple who obviously have their daughters' welfare at heart and seems to me to be a very sensible solution to such a dramatic situation.

In such cases, one cannot even vaguely imagine how peoples lives must be turned upside down caring for a child who will never inter-react with the world. It must truly be heartbreaking and reading about such cicumstances makes me thank God that I have two healthy children.

If you haven't read the blog, do so...

The link to the blog is http://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/blog/

4 comments:

richard of orléans said...

Very difficult decisions to take. Parents often become extremely attached to their handicapped children. One tries to help those that are less fortunate in life.

One wonders what the cause is of such tragic events. We will probably not know. Nevertheless it seems culpable of the Anglo Saxons to be so unconcerned about the quality of their food. And the high ingestion of alcohol is undoubtedly a risk factor.

Louise said...

Have you ever thought Richard, that when you go back to England and get food poisoning that your family and/or friends are telling you something? Like just stay in Orleans?

richard of orléans said...

Louise you may be right, it could be deliberate. I never underestimate the lengths to which the English are prepared to go. But I assure you I do not go to the UK volontarily. I would happily never vist the country again. There are many other places in the World that I much prefer. Indeed I like Switzerland. With all that snow I am really tempted to shoot down and do a bit of skiing. But at the moment we are looking at trips to Africa. Though I doubt we will go, with the vaccinations and violence, we will probably finish up somewhere in southern Europe.Or maybe I will convince my wife, what is really interesting is, staying here in Orleans.

Sarah said...

As the parents wish to care for their child and not pass her into the hands of unknown carers which they would have had to do, plus their concern at her comfort and bien etre, I think their actions are entirely justifiable.