Tuesday, March 13, 2007

VISITORS TO THE BLOG

Over the last couple of days I have installed NeoEarth and NeoCounter on my blog and a lot of fun it is proving to be! This morning I had a visitor from Croatia and one from Romania. Now, how did they find my blog? I have no idea as I have no contacts in either country. Unfortunately, they didn't leave a message - so if you read this, whoever you are, please stop by and say hello! I also have people from 'Europe' - where is that?

The system is not very accurate as when one first installs NeoCounter there is automatically a list of countries that have visited one's site - if the system is to be believed, there are loads of people in England that read my blog, but only a few read it on NeoEarth.

ColinB I know has been thinking of using this to root out the 'anonymice' that plagued 'us' the other week - as I have said to him, the system is amusing but not accurate. When I registered, the site decided I was in Bulle, which may well be where my ISP server is located...I live an hour and a half from Bulle! Apart from my Swiss ISP, I also have a Mac ISP, so I wonder where that is?

Anyway it is an amusing gadget and a great time-waster!

7 comments:

richard of orleans said...

One thing that is very clear is that when Colinb is absent there are no anonymice and a mighty lot of other strange characters disappear also.

So I would not give too much credence to his theories. He is a permanent puller of wool over the eyes.

Tinsie said...

I'm one of the UK ones :-)

As to how people found you, perhaps they were doing a random search on blogger. I sometimes click the "next blog" button just for fun, and I've come across some great blogs (as well as some naff ones) from all over the world.

Gigi said...

Yes - I was going to say what Tinsie said - I sometimes click on 'Next blog' too. Also, people could be looking for keywords using search engines (for example "cuckoos") and your blog will come up.

Bill Taylor said...

It occurs to me, Louise, that you never ever told us how to milk a horse.

Louise said...

I'm under no illusion that the blogosphere is buzzing with 'Cooo, Louise has started a blog, let's take a look'! But even if it's only a random hit, it would be nice to hear from others, wouldn't it?

I just googled 'cuckoos' which didn't turn up anything - except a download of a cuckoo chime for Mac! I think I will definitely have to install that!

Louise said...

Caught me out, Bill! Well, not entirely - horses are milked by hand, of course - as to whether a milking machine exists for milking horses I don't know.

A farmer near where I used to live, started producing soap made from horses' milk - it seemed to have some success locally (I think people bought a bar more as a gimmick than anything else), but I never visited his farm so I don't know if he milked by hand or by machine.

Sarah said...

If you install 'Sitemeter' from sitemeter.com, it'll tell you not only where your readers are geographically, but how they found your site. So, they might have googled something and found a reference to it on your site, or they may have come from another blog (like mine) or be a regular visitor and have you in their Favourites.

It's just as easy to install as neocounter too.