Tuesday, April 17, 2007

MEZENC




To the vegetarians among you, I apologise for the photo - to the meat lovers of the world, this must be the equivalent of Kobé beef (which I have never tried).

Enjoy the photo, as your chances of finding this meat are virtually non-existent! This is 'le Fin gras de Mézenc', one of France's best-kept secrets. The Mézenc recently received an AOC for their meat which comes from an area covering 20 communes in the Haute Loire and the Ardèche. The cows are fed on hay from these communes throughout the winter and it is the hay that gives the meat a very distinctive flavour as it contains numerous aromatic plants, including 'cistre' (alpine fennel). The animals must be over two years of age when slaughtered so, like this côte de boeuf, it is from a fully grown animal and is consistant. The meat is delicately marbled throughout and honestly I have never tasted a piece of meat with such complex flavours - we were rather like wine bores when eating it as our taste buds discovered the different flavours.

Apart from the Mézenc being a small AOC, another particularity is that one can only find it from the beginning of March to the beginning of June, when the animals go out to pasture for the summer. If you happen to be in the area during the season, the next problem is to find a butcher that sells le Fin gras de Mézenc! The only butcher that sells it (as far as I know) in Clermont Ferrand is la Maison Gauthier, and it has to be ordered well in advance! Or for a few dollars more, you could take yourself to what is probably the best restaurant in France, the 3* Michelin of Regis Marcon in St. Bonnet le Froid, where it is served during the spring. Marcon, apart from his great talent, must be the most charming and unpretentious of the great French chefs and his new restaurant is stunning. He also has the admirable policy of offering jobs to local people first and foremost which has been a blessing in area which is 'au milieu de nul parts'. (www.regismarcon.fr)

My one regret? That my son wasn't there to enjoy this fabulous piece of meat. On the other hand, he would have eaten the côte de boeuf by himself!

12 comments:

Sarah said...

My goodness, that looks a fine hunk of meat!!!

I'd never heard of Mezenc, and lived in Clermont-Ferrand for a year or so and my ex-h's parents live in Cantal!

Bill Taylor said...

I am SO jealous. I've had Kobe beef and it's truly excellent but this sounds amazing.
I've never tried Brittany's salt-marsh lamb either. I think it's time for another trip to France.

Bill Taylor said...

Did you notice that the Hamster, having renounced personal blogging so unequivocally, has reappeared on the new-look Salut! Truly a rodent of his word.

Louise said...

Funny - this morning I discovered that clicking on my name on Colin Randall's blog brought up my email address, having being too lazy to type in my URL. So I sent 2 lines to CR telling him about this, which he said he was going to look into, then put in my URL and my email (obligatory) and next comment came up with blog address and not email.

Upon discovering this, I thought that it would provoke a long, long, long comment if Colin B discovered the problem - and I was right!

It doesn't worry me particularly, but there might be certain people that don't want their email address put on air. I thought it better to email Colin R directly so as not to excite any excitable mice out there, but of course as usual Colin B has to blab and therefore rouse the curiousity of certain individiuals that he continually criticises so they can act in an even more devious manner.

I thought Colin B was never going to darken the Salut! door ever, ever, ever again? It's a shame that having stayed off the post for some time as Colin B, he scuttles back, showing a certain lack of intelligence.

So, as you read my post, Colin B, I'd just like to say to you that it is strange that you who think very carefully about what you post before posting, should have so carelessly blabbed on and on and on; I smell a rat/hamster.

sciencebod said...

It would appear that by sharing the results of 5 minutes of research into TypePad, with which I have limited acquaintance, I'm guilty of "blabbing". Presumably ColinR is also a blabber, since he got in before me in pointing out the significance of those underlined names.

But it would appear that I am not just BT's, but now Louise's bête noire as well, despite my repeated denials of being "anonyhamster".

If you don't wish to take me at my word, Louise, then there ain't a lot I can do about that, except feel somewhat slighted and misjudged.

Well,on second thoughts, there is actually, which is to continue to stay clear of "personal blogging". But that won't stop me posting occasionally to Colin Randall's blog, or even here for that matter, when I think there are things that need to be said.

It's called free speech, something I recall you once championed yourself, Louise. Nuff said for now, methinks.

Bill Taylor said...

He's very good at changing the rules to suit himself, isn't he? "I will stay away from personal blogging except when I won't." And he loves to exercise the "freedom of speech" that he denies to others. This being the case, how could anyone possibly believe his Anonyhamster denials?

Louise said...

Colin R was replying to PierreL's query.

I have never stopped championing free speech on blogs, Colin, as you well know. I had to block anonymous comment as it was being abused. I don't think you can say the same about your blog.

My argument with the email problem is that some people do not want to reveal their address which I quite understand. Sending comments about a person/their blog/their opinions to their email address is underhand - and as I have said, if you have something to say on a blog then you should have the courage of your convictions and post it for all to see (and to be deleted by the blog owner if they deem it necessary).

My opinion has not changed one iota.

You are not my 'bete noir' Colin. My 'bete noir' has four paws, lots of shaggy hair and is sleeping on my foot at the moment. His name is Angus.

sciencebod said...

"Sending comments about a person/their blog/their opinions to their email address is underhand - and as I have said, if you have something to say on a blog then you should have the courage of your convictions and post it for all to see"


Sorry, Louise, but I haven't a clue what you are talking about.
I have occasionally sent emails to fellow bloggers, but I don't recall abusing the facility.

Could you explain in more detail, please ?

Louise said...

Sorry, Colin - it wasn't very clear, and was in no way aimed at you.

What I meant was that if those who post on blogs have their emails revealed to all and sundry, there are certain unscrupulous people who might use that facility for sending unpleasant remarks - that's all.

Bill Taylor said...

No need to apologize, Louise. Your meaning was perfectly clear to anyone who doesn't take the slightest hint of disagreement or criticism as a vicious personal attack.

sciencebod said...

Are we talking about Salut!, or my own emails-only policy?

If the former, please accept there was no intention on my part to let people find your email address. In fact, I was not aware at the time that you had comments there. Admittedly, I had noticed BT's, but as it was his work contact at his office, I felt he would not be discomfited by it being known.

In any case, I was simply on a learning curve, afraid, if anything, that I would be laughed at for revealing my ignorance of how TypePad works. So it was quite a surprise to find I was not alone.

As far as my blog is concerned, it goes without saying that I would never divulge anyone's email address.

Bill Taylor said...

Not unless it suited his purpose and then he'd find a way to justify it. And, as we know, in Colin Berry's lexicon, "never" is a very fluid term.