Sunday, December 10, 2006

LAZY SUNDAY

Just a few photos this afternoon as soon it will be time to light the fire, get supper ready and organise things for tomorrow "Have you done your homework?", "Is your phone charged?", "Is there anything for me to sign?", "Have you got your season ticket?" - usual sort of Sunday night stuff which I try to organise in the evening rather than at 530am!

Firstly a photo of a helicopter which was parked in the town centre yesterday for the "Jib night" competition, followed by one of kids organising the 'run' in one of the main streets. Actually it was a bit of a non-event this year, probably due to lack of snow until the last minute, and then so much the night before the event, I think they were overcome! I took the photo an hour before the competition started, and in no way were they ready.

The last two photos are of a little Mountain-ash tree in my garden, the berries just about managing to peep out from under the snow - it is greatly appreciated by the birds and unfortunately by my cats, who have sussed out that berries = birds. The last photo is just an icicle on one of the gutters - the gutters on the 'vieux chalets' are in fact pine trunks hollowed out and nowadays are lined with copper. If you look closely at the photo, you might just see the copper 'lip'. I had my gutters replaced last year - they weren't lined and were distinctly rotten - but they were 50 years old!

14 comments:

richard of orléans said...

Louise
We have seen your mountains, your dog, your tree, even your gutters. What we haven't seen is the lovely Louise herself, preferably topless. With the cold you should have no problem with sag.

Louise said...

Start your own blog, Richard.
Post a photo of yourself.
Then perhaps I'll post a photo of myself but definitely not topless - more likely in a big woolly sweater, a ski jacket, a scarf and a silly hat.
They say that dogs and their owners look like each other ... woof, woof!

sciencebod said...

Actually, Richard does have a blog, Louise. But it's what you might call rudimentary.

Richard's Rudimentary Blog

The word "rudimentary" is of course a contraction of RUDE + ELEMENTARY

richard of orléans said...

The man who likes to josh, but refuses to publish my comments on his blog!! So he comes on someone else's blog to insult me.
But I admit Colinb that you have an excellent blog with a very becoming photo. You look like a distinguished gentleman in his early 80's. You do well for such a great age.

Don't over do it though, the vulture is just over the horizon.

angela said...

Hello Louise,
I just found you through Colinb's blog.
Life in a ski resort sounds interesting but I don't think I could manage the driving in the snow and ice even in Switzerland.
Angela

Louise said...

It's actually quite easy driving in the snow, Angela, and one gets used to it quickly - everyone here has snow tyres of course and by law we also have to carry chains in the car, but touch wood I have never had to use mine as you have to have a PhD to fit them, and when you do have to put them on, it is when you are invariably in deep trouble! Ice is far worse, often you can't see it and snow tyres don't stop your car doing the tango!

I find it easier driving here than when I lived in the foothills of the Pyrenees - in typical Swiss efficiency mode, the snowplough goes through early in the morning followed by the salting lorry and even after heavy snowfall, all the roads are open by 6 a.m. When I lived in France, a sprinkle of snow spelt total chaos - often we would go for nearly a week without being able to get out - roads totally iced up and the DDE desperately looking for a snowplough or finding some salt at the last minute. I used to be asked to shop for people in the village as I was the only one with a 4x4.

During the winter the most difficult thing to adapt to is going out! It seems to take hours to find gloves, hats, snow boots, ski jackets and then struggle into them - none of this throwing on a jacket and popping down to the shops - unless you want to freeze!

It's -8 here this morning!

Louise said...

I've just scrapped the word verification - everyone else's was working when I looked - mine showed the box in which to type the verification but the letters where replaced by one of those nice blue question marks that get my back up!

So I'll go without it, and see if I get inundated with spam.

richard of orléans said...

Brave girl. Why always penalise 99% of the population for a few trouble makers? Hopefully it will only be a few!!! But with the Berries out their you never know.

richard of orléans said...

C. Raspberry, louise jogs topless, so no sale here.

Louise said...

Took just one hour for the first spam to appear - or was it a spam - I have my doubts!

Louise said...

Actually, before deleting that 'spam' I should have clicked on the link to see who "Dick" was, shouldn't I, RICHARD!

Anonymous said...

Richard must be most relieved. Why, because Louise is wiping "his" spoof spam as fast as it comes. Once wiped it can't be re-sent, at least in its original form(anti-spam software)

But would Richard really sign himself off as "Dick Vincent Olivier", or "Ricky Vincent Olivetree"?

richard of orléans said...

Louise you know full well who goes under multiple noms de plume, and it's not me. Hint, the raspberry has many pips.

Louise said...

It doesn't really matter who it is, does it? Whoever it is, if it keeps their little fingers happy on their keyboard - all well and good! I shall just bin it when it comes in.