Monday, March 12, 2007

WALKIES, GUS!

MétéoSuisse told me today that it was a day to be intelligent, the risk of migraine was zero and the day was perfect for outdoor activity - but the UV factor was 5, so loads of suncream was needed! Yes, apart from forecasting, MétéoSuisse also tells you how you should feel and what you should do with your day! A real cliché isn't it?

So armed with all this information, feeling highly intelligent, migraine-free and active, I set off with my wee small friend and his lead (and his poo bag). We huff and puff up a mountain - the house is at 1500m, the mountain at 1900m, the climb is pretty steep but arriving at the top, I felt so good and intelligent! On the way home we went through the golf course, which becomes a ski slope in winter. I'm sure that it must be a lovely course to play if you are a golfer as the views are wonderful. The snow was trash - la soupe. But it must have been about +15 this afternoon which is very warm for here at this time of the year. The snow is melting fast and there is still another six weeks to go before the end of the season; last year we had our best snow at the beginning of May when the resort was closed so guess who was driving children up the mountain as far as the car would go so that they could ski down?

On the way down, we passed skiers with very red faces who obviously hadn't read the UV warning and at one point I saw two girls in shorts, barefoot and eating ice cream - guess their nationality!

Although it was an intelligent day, I forgot to take my camera with me in order to photograph some breathtaking views, so I suppose me and me dog will have to re-walk the route tomorrow!

4 comments:

richard of orleans said...

Did you use the pooh bag?

Louise said...

Not personally - but Gus did! The fine here is CHF200 if your dog is caught in the act and you don't clear up!

richard of orleans said...

What about cows do they have pooh bags as well? The fine must be enormous for a cow pancake. Perhaps that's why their cows look so constipated.

Louise said...

When I told an English chum living in France that I was moving to la Suisse, he told me I was quite crazy and that the country was too clean and too organised etc. etc. And he said that he had never seen a cowpat in CH! He decided that the farmers must hoover them up every day!

Well, I have seen loads of cowpats here, so it's a myth that farmers clean up after their cows! Of course at the moment you don't see any as the cows are down in the valley, but when they come up to the alpine pastures, there are cowpats everywhere!

The cows here are the 'Herens' race and the Valais is famous for its 'Combat de Reines' and they are the most grumpy cows I have ever come across.

After the 'combat' when the cows come up from the valley to the alpine pastures here, it is great to see the village covered in cowpats and smelling of a farmyard and 'posh' ladies with very small dogs trying to avoid walking in them. Angus, being rather a rough at heart, loves eating and rolling in them...