Saturday, March 31, 2007

SPRING CLEANING


SUNDAY 1st APRIL
SAW THIS ARTICLE IN THE TELLY THIS MORNING WHICH IS PERTINENT TO MY BLOG ON THE 16th MARCH 'LES JEUX'
BUT IS IT AN APRIL FOOL?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/04/01/nfool01.xml

I shouldn't be putting up a new post as I am meant to be chasing the dust, spiders and the old bones belonging to Gus. However, taking a look at the bookshelf in the bedroom (Ikea's cheapest!) has put me off. It's not all that big, but the books are three deep on each shelf and it's about time that the books at the back made their way to the front for an airing. Even the top of the bookshelf is full - reference books, gardening books and Mac for dummies in large quantities.

And my dear old bear. I shouldn't call him old, as he and I are the same age! He used to growl, but seized up many a year ago. I can't remember the makers' name as it was on a hind paw which over the years has disintigrated and the lable has disappeared. Perhaps I might find out something about him on the Internet...

So digging through the pile of books, I thought I might write about one or two of them next week. My problem is that once I start going through my books, I decide perhaps I will have a quick read, so spring cleaning might be compromised!

11 comments:

Gigi said...

Ha ha - this made me smile. I have been sitting here all day, dressed in an old ripped shirt and a pair of baggy leggings because I was going to start spring cleaning...I just get so easily distracted...books, blogs, magazines, old letters...

I think I'll start the cleaning next week :-)

Bill Taylor said...

And next week, as we know, never comes.
Your bookshelves are just the way bookshelves ought to be, Louise. Well-used and overcrowded. A good place for a bear, old or otherwise, to hang out.
A technical question, Gigi -- don't baggy leggings fall off?

Louise said...

Well, the minute amount of spring cleaning I did made me pleased with myself! I avoided bookshelf number one, moved a chest of drawers and the rocking horse...must take a photo of him to post on the blog. He is a very splendid beast; like Ted he is now elderly but can still gallop around the room!

And so feeling I deserve a treat, and The Child being away for the weekend, I'm going to set up the laptop to watch a DVD in bed along with an infusion (my addiction after tea) and my Cadbury's cream eggs that arrived in the post this morning from my Mum! The damn dog ate them last year! And no alarm clock tomorrow morning!

Bill Taylor said...

A rocking horse? Wow. Lesley loves pigs so I bought her a rocking pig for Christmas a few years ago. It had a lovely curly leather tail until one of the cats ate it. You can buy Cadbury's cream eggs here; they are a terrible temptation.
Which DVD are you going to watch?

Louise said...

The 'new' Dr. Zhivago (2002) with Sam Neill and Keira Knightley. I'm sure it won't be nearly as good as the one with Julie Christie and Omar Sherif - to start off with there won't be the music...

Gigi said...

I don't know if baggy leggings fall off, Bill - because I've spent most of the day siiting down - either in front of the computer or on the sofa. What a slob...no spring cleaning done whatsoever. I've never heard of a rocking pig, either! Can Lesley actually sit on it and rock or is it just for decoration?

Mmm. I love Cadbury's creme eggs, Louise. I can usually buy them here in the Comptoir Irlandais. I'm addicted to tea, too - proper tea mind, not yer poncey infusions. I don't like those at all!

Bill Taylor said...

She could, at a pinch, sit on it and rock but I don't think she ever has. Certainly not while I've been in attendance. So it's mostly decorative (slightly less so since it lost its tail).

Gigi said...

The spokesperson is "Avril Bouffonerie"...très drôle! But the French are very good at fireworks :-)

Louise said...

Well spotted! You are up and about early - getting out the hoover and rubber gloves ready to spring-clean?! I 'have' to go out to lunch today with some people I don't know which is going to ruin my 'good intentions' day ... after loads of food and a couple of beers, I know that all I want to do is sleep!

Sarah said...

I couldn't get onto the link. I was wondering if it was the one on anti-aging cream actually being found to work, but obviously it wasn't...

I think I have the same bookcases... Mine are also crammed; I really need another one, but am running out of wall space!

Louise said...

No, Sarah, it wasn't the Boot's Miracle Anti-Wrinkle, Anti-Ageing Cream - but the Tell's April Fool article about France and England sharing the Games in 2012!