Sunday, April 01, 2007

MY CHARGER

UPDATE TUESDAY : INFORMATION THAT STEVENSON'S (RESTORERS OF ROCKING HORSES) VERY KINDLY SENT ME THIS AFTERNOON:

J. COLLINSON AND SONS

The firm of J (Jervis) Collinson has always been a small family concern with only a few workers, mostly family members, and has remained in the city of Liverpool. The name Jervis is part of the family tradition handed down from father to son, hence the continuance of the name of the firm, J. Collinson. From 1836 to 1850 their horses were painted in different colours however in 1851 Queen Victoria visited the Collinson's workshop and rode a dapple-grey horse. Since then, in honour of the royal visit they have only made dapple grey horses.

Sometime during the 1890s Jervis Drinkall Collinson Senior started work in the factory where he carried on business until his death in 1945. Circa 1912 Jervis Drinkall Junior was born and by the late 1920s he was working alongside his father in the factory at Richmond Terrace, Liverpool. Both men produced the glass-eyed, hand-dappled horses with attention to carved detail along the lines of the 'extra carved' finish of other manufacturers of quality rocking horses. Glass eyes were replaced by wooden balls after the Second World War. Despite the general acceptance of riding astride for women by the 1920s, larger Collinson horses continued to be made with sidesaddle equipage until as late as the early 1950s.

The present proprietor of the firm, Jervis James, was born in 1935, the year the factory workshop was relocated at Great Georges Road and the period from the mid 1930s to the mid 1940s was perhaps the most difficult for the firm, For the most part Jervis James father was occupied in the British Aircraft Services leaving grandfather Jervis to manage on his own until production ceased entirely for a few years during the Second World War. Production began again in the late 1940s under Jervis James' father and Jervis joined him in the factory in 1950 at the age of 15. His younger brother Leonard joined the firm in the late 1950s.

Earlier this century Collinson's supplied the London stores, Harrods and Hamleys and sometime later an agent, Johnson, handled distribution of the horses from Nottingham. They became misleadingly known as 'Johnson rocking horses'. The factory workshop was until 1993 located at Smithdown Road where thousands of Collinson rocking horses were produced since 1965. The horses were never marked until about 1981 when the maker's name on a gold plate was first applied to the front of the stand base. The factory finally closed their doors in the latter part of 1993 due to lack of demand for these toys.






Here are a couple of photos of my fine old horse! He and I were born the same year. He was a Christmas present for my first Christmas at the ripe old age of 6 months, when I could barely sit, let alone ride a horse! He came from Horrids and cost £100! What a vast amount of money - goodness knows how much that would be in today's money.

He was given to me by an 'aunt' who was in fact a friend of my parents - an ageing spinster, very '40s in her way of dressing, make-up and hairstyle and had a passion for Pekinese dogs (which I love to this day!).

Although he cost a lot, he is still very much 'part of the family' - apart from myself who 'rode' thousands of miles on him, my daughter and my son also went off on many adventure astride this animal with his flaring nostrils, and even now they, and I, still go off on a gentle trot!

He is getting rather old and tatty, like his owner! The reins and stirrups have long gone, the mane and tail have been trimmed over the years and his dapple grey colour has become a dapple yellow. The paint is now flaking fast but I am loathe to have him restored as I fear he might end up looking too new. Looking for some information on him, it would appear that he was made by a company called Collinson who still make rocking horses and do restore 'antique' beasts. Below is a photo of a horse similar to mine who has been restored.



The old boy had a number of names but none ever stuck - the name he kept the longest was Santa as he came at Christmas and also because the same year as I was offered my rocking horse, my father gave my mother a real dapple grey for Christmas called ... Santa!

My 'aunt' would be delighted to see that her present of so many years ago, is still alive and well and living in Switzerland.

26 comments:

Bill Taylor said...

He's gorgeous. I wouldn't restore a hair of him; it's "living" history. Patina is everything. (And, if you needed to, you'd still get a chunk of money for him on eBay).
Your father gave your mother a real horse for Christmas? You KNOW Richard's not gonna let that one pass....

Louise said...

I know - but if I had to write a blog taking into consideration Richard's sensibilities, I wouldn't get very far, would I? Horses have always been a part of our lives (my two lads stayed in France with my ex when we moved to Swizerland) and guess what? We used to HUNT, in the days when foxes were killed by hounds. Sorry, tree and bunny huggers...life on a farm is not Beatrix Potter!

Sarah said...

Ooh, how lucky to have a rocking horse! My goodness, what a beauty. I'm sure I used to see them in Horrid's as we used to go there from time to time, especially at sale time. I was never able to wangle a horse out of my parents, however!

Bill Taylor said...

Do you suppose, given that you have a rocking horse and Lesley has a rocking pig, that it's possible to find a rocking hamster? You couldn't give it a name, of course, because then it wouldn't be "anony." A good name springs to mind, though...

anonyhamster said...

It's anonyhamster, d'ye ken
Who pops up now and again
I bear no ill will or grudge
But who's Bill Taylor to judge ?
He's spends his time dissing folk
It's really beyond a joke
That's why I involve myself here
I hate to hear bullies jeer
It's time he gave it a rest
And allowed people to give of their best
This is a blog, it's not fair
That he constantly gets in their hair
Now, as for Colin's hits
His obsession is really the pits
If there's just idle chatter
Then what does it matter
If it's 50K on the dial
Or it's short by a mile ?
Forget what I said about clocking
In fact I was really just mocking
I did not see those digits appear
Which to Colin are clearly so dear
Someone was there at the hour
So they've got the power
To deliver them digits
That given proper widgets
Can be saved there and then
And displayed as and when.
But isn't it a bit OTT
For Colin to want this trophy
His fame rests on prose
Not numbers, everyone knows
But I say this in truth
I'm not so uncouth
To deny him his prize
Or engage in mean lies
If you have what he needs
Then show your fine deeds
There's one last thing that I'd say
Before I go on my way
I do in fact know it
This hamster's no poet

Bill Taylor said...

What do you reckon, Louise? We're on the money?

Louise said...

Well, that was a jolly little poem!

Bill Taylor said...

Rockin', you might almost say. (Or do I mean rotten?).
Anyway, I had earlier been going to quote the Beatles' "rocking-horse people in looking-glass ties." Not my favourite band as a whole, though some amazing individual songs (their best-ever, I think, was "Girl"). LSD did interesting things to their creativity. Looking once more at this doggerel, it almost seems drug-influenced, too. He must have had an aspirin sandwich for lunch on his day out.
The Rockin' Berries also come to mind, a good band in their day. Especially "He's Back In Town." And the Searchers: "Needles and Pins." By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes....

Bill Taylor said...

I've just ordered David Llewellyn's novel "Eleven" from Amazon in the U.K. It sounds very interesting. He's certainly the most engaging of the Tele's three guest bloggers.

Bill Taylor said...

Curious that the anonypoet -- significant, too, how long-winded a piece of doggerel it was -- is steering well clear of Salut! Is he afraid, do you suppose, of Colin Randall's cyber powers?
I see there's a hamster lobby started on Shane Richmond's blog.

Louise said...

Not another one! These hamsters are everywhere.

Bill Taylor said...

Which is more than can be said of anonyh these days. Keeping a selectively low profile (but leaving some quite distinctive footprints).

richard of orleans said...

It's a mangy looking beast. Uncaring owner. Call in the RSPCA. Got worms, lice, foot and mouth. Poor thing should be put down, maybe the owner also.

Louise said...

You are horrid, Richard!

richard of orleans said...

I do my best to put a positive twist on it and that's what I get. Next time I will be honest and say what I think.

Louise said...

Instead of being nasty to me and my steed, go pick on some small furry creatures! Otherwise I shall send in my horse to trample you into a mush! And then Sarah can make you into sausages.

Bill Taylor said...

Ooh, can I order a couple of kilos? And maybe some hamster ones, too, though I don't how palatable they'd be. Might give us all verbal diarrhoea.

Louise said...

Hope you get paid well Bill - imagine how many hamsters go into making a sausage. More expensive than caviar I should think.

richard of orleans said...

I tried to pick on Phil the slob, but he is under total protection from the moderators. They won't even let compliments go through. Obviously
very sensitive about his useless blogs. Seems like a CR type of guy

Bill Taylor said...

I believe hamster sausages can include berries as an ingredient. It's a very long recipe, though, and not a lot of flavour.

Louise said...

I, too have been totally blocked on the Telly blogs over the last few days for saying stuff like 'Yes, I agree'.

Bill Taylor said...

I got one up on Llewellyn's Churchill blog yesterday that I posted Sunday.

Louise said...

Well, you have friends in high places, Bill! I was offered a prize of a pair of hippo size secondhand socks this morning!

Bill Taylor said...

From whom? (Or need I ask?) And under what circumstances?

Louise said...

Just go to Colin's blog and scroll

down
and
down
and
down
and
down

and you will see that he is offering his socks to anyone who can guess why his comments to the Telly are refused.

Bill Taylor said...

Go to his blog? I think not. He has a comment on Llewellyn's latest blog today so what's he complaining about.
I notice his alter ego is steering well clear of Salut!
Queen Victoria on a rocking horse... That says a lot for their strength.