Wednesday, April 04, 2007

EASTER?

My plans have been thawrted. Yesterday was a lovely spring day, so before going to France for a week of R&R from the mind-numbing mornings starting at 5.30, I decided that it was time for the car to have its twice yearly interior clean. First of all the ski rack came off - no mean feat as although deceptively simple to look at, you need a PhD in engineering to dismantle it. Then all the doors were opened and I set about emptying the contents before getting out the Dyson. Out came the bath mats (brilliant for absorbing melting snow), the rubber mats that hold the melted water and a very smelly old sheet that Angus is meant to use after a wet/muddy/rolling in cow pat walk.

I then set about clearing the litter and this is what I discovered! Six bottles of mineral water in various stages of consumption, three Coke bottles, about 30 sweet wrappers, the tripod for my camera (wondered where that had got to), various scrapers, de-icers etc., Angus's passport, assorted maps, my 'zapper' to fast track through the motorway tolls in France, a load of cables for assorted mobile 'phones and iPods, 2 dog leads, an amazingly awful collection of CDs and I think that it about all!

And then of course, I was waylaid doing something else, so cleaning the car came to a halt for the day. So I had decided to hoover the car this morning and treat the seats which are in leather and desperately need de-Angusing. But of course that has been stopped as yet again it is snowing! The car is now covered in a good 6 inches of snow, and no sign of a let-up at the moment. I know I live high up in the mountains, I know it is only the beginning of April and we shall have snow on and off for another month, but this year I am totally fed up with the snow. One day in T-Shirts, the following day in a ski jacket and if I have to wear my snow boots for much longer, I think I shall scream.

However, when I go off to France on Friday as the car will be junk free, I should save a few drops of petrol.

And of course the rubber mats have disappeared somewhere in the snow...

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm glad to see someone else keeps their car in a similar state to mine. I get very depressed when I see parents who have immaculate cars. They must have nothing more interesting to do at the weekend!

I could never stay long with a car maniac. Or a tidy house freak for that matter.

Gigi said...

R&R? Rock and Roll? Roads and Roundabouts? Raindrops and Roses? Reading and er - Riting? I know I'm a bit ignorant - but please put me out of my misery!

Strangely enough, my daughter cleaned my car the day before yesterday - she owed it to me as I had paid her to do it months ago (in advance). It was like a dustbin in there but now there are new mats (I kept getting my heel caught in the old one) and it smells divine.

Of course, it won't stay like that for long!

Louise said...

Well, hopefully it will be Rock 'n Roll. But any of following three are applicable:

Rest and Recuperation
Rescue and Resuscitation
Remove and Refit

Bill Taylor said...

Mine is fairly clean inside but desperately needs a good wash. It's not getting it this week, though. There's snow in our forecast, too.
Where in France are you going?

Bill Taylor said...

I've just sent what I think is a fairly inoffensive and rather apposite comment to David Llewellyn's "Icon" blog. Let's see if it makes it past the increasingly idiosyncratic moderators...

Louise said...

Well, Bill - your comment came up. Same old story, eh? One set of rules for us ordinary bloggers and another for CB. But he is happy with that so we shall leave him rot in his Hippo socks.

I am going to the Auvergne near le Puy en Velay, and it's snowing there too, so don't think it will be much of a change climate-wise.

Bill Taylor said...

Oh, but the food! One of my favourite restaurants in Paris is Auvergnois. But I've never been to that region.
As for the other... hamster logic rules, okay!